[Lcdproc] hd44780 weird display/driver problem

  • From: nchidsey AT bw.edu (Nick Chidsey)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] hd44780 weird display/driver problem
  • Date: Mon Oct 7 17:34:02 2002

> Now, what's the matter here. An HD44780 HAS 80 bytes only. It can work
> with two 40 char long lines. However, the data of the second 40
> characters starts at address 64 (0x40), not 40 ! So there is some kinda
> gap of 24 bytes. That means that 0x40 in the code is correct.

I have to disagree... 40 bytes starting at 64 far overflows the 80 bytes of
memory it has. On my unit anyway, if I use the 0x40, then the second line
wraps around the 80 byte memory and starts overwriting the beginning of the
first line. And if I use 40, then the second line appears in the correct
spot.

HOWEVER... .I still can't get the second line of my display to show any
pixels :( I'm really sad now. I've asked who I bought it from to send
another unit for me to try to see if the one I have is faulty. But I just
think that it is an initialization problem that the unit is working in
ONELINE mode.