[Lcdproc] hd44780 aType and fli4l

  • From: bock AT blacknet.de (Goetz Bock)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] hd44780 aType and fli4l
  • Date: Mon Oct 7 13:26:01 2002

On Sun, Oct 06 '02 at 18:04, Joris Robijn wrote:
> Hi Goetz,
>
> I've looked into your patch. I see that it does two things:
> 1. It adds an new wiring and subdriver called fli4l.
> 2. It reads the aType= setting from the config file. If aType is true, it
> initializes the controller with extended functionality. It also does
> other positioning in that case (which looks more linear).
> [ ... ]
> First of all I think there is a compatibility issue with your patch. When
> you set aType to true, it does initialization in common_init assuming it
> is in 8 bit mode. That is not correct. It will not wirk with 4 bit wiring
> schemes, of which we have at least two: 4bit and serialLpt.
O, point taken

> I would also like to know what the controller does if you do NOT use the
> aType setting. Does it work correctly without aType=true ? Because in
> that case we should NOT apply the aType patch, as it would not add any
> functionality.
I will check this, but only after Wednedsay, or on next weekend

> Is there any relation between the aType setting and the new wiring, other
> than that they are in one patch ?
Only that they are in the same patch (and for one pice of hardware)

> The HD44780 driver is a complicated piece of work. It cost me over a year
> to understand why things are done like they are, and fully understand all
> the issues that the driver carries with it. I hope you understand that
> I'm only delaying the commiting your code because I want to keep the
> quality that it currently has.
Sure, having something work is more important than having avery featuer
possible.
--
Goetz Bock (c) 2002 as blacknet.de - Munich - Germany /"\
IT Consultant GNU FDL 1.1 secure mobile Linux everNETting \ /