[Lcdproc] ... Very low level serial programming? usb serial?

  • From: reenoo AT gmx.de (Rene Wagner)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] ... Very low level serial programming? usb serial?
  • Date: Fri Oct 4 15:08:02 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 16:44, Paul Hedderly wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 09:05:19AM -0400, Guillaume Filion wrote:
> > At 19:01 +0100 02/10/02, Mark Gill wrote:
> > >< outb(val,port);
> > >---
> >
> > Wow, I'm puzzled... It seemed to me that we tested this stuff. Hum...
> > I remember testing it on OpenBSD and NetBSD, and testing on FreeBSD
> > only with the curses driver... Darn, isn't that Murphy's law at its
> > best?
>
> Hmmm I've just realised something.
>
> A couple of weeks ago, I posted that I was having problems with running
> a Martrix Orbital on a USB serial adaptor. I got no replies from that.

Sorry, I missed that mail :(

> (The problem was just getting a little junk on the display - until I
> killed the LCDd server when I got the "Thank you..." message no problem!
>
> Anyway. Just thinking - LCDd is using really low level port access if I
> understand outb/inb/ioperm. So my guess is that usb serial ports are
> very unlikely to work properly...

outb() is only used for parallel devices.
All serial devices are handled as character devices.

> So can anyone tell me if there is particular reason to use such low
> level stuff? Or how much work it would take to convert to using higher
> level stuff? (maybe just port.h? hmm)
>
> Any ideas?

I've had some problems with the lcdm001 driver and cfmakeraw() on
FreeBSD.
So, maybe it also doesn't work with usb->serial converters.
You could try commenting out the cfmakeraw call in
server/drivers/MtxOrb.c starting at line 364
Only leave the code between #else and #endif active.

Hope it helps,

Rene

--
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.