[Lcdproc] ... Very low level serial programming? usb serial?

  • From: bulkpaul AT wacka.mjr.org (Paul Hedderly)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] ... Very low level serial programming? usb serial?
  • Date: Fri Oct 4 14:45:02 2002

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 09:05:19AM -0400, Guillaume Filion wrote:
> At 19:01 +0100 02/10/02, Mark Gill wrote:
> >< outb(val,port);
> >---
> >> outb(port,val);
>
> Wow, I'm puzzled... It seemed to me that we tested this stuff. Hum...
> I remember testing it on OpenBSD and NetBSD, and testing on FreeBSD
> only with the curses driver... Darn, isn't that Murphy's law at its
> best?

Hmmm I've just realised something.

A couple of weeks ago, I posted that I was having problems with running
a Martrix Orbital on a USB serial adaptor. I got no replies from that.
(The problem was just getting a little junk on the display - until I
killed the LCDd server when I got the "Thank you..." message no problem!

Anyway. Just thinking - LCDd is using really low level port access if I
understand outb/inb/ioperm. So my guess is that usb serial ports are
very unlikely to work properly...

So can anyone tell me if there is particular reason to use such low
level stuff? Or how much work it would take to convert to using higher
level stuff? (maybe just port.h? hmm)

Any ideas?

--
Paul