[Lcdproc] HD44780 And Freebsd

  • From: gfk AT logidac.com (Guillaume Filion)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] HD44780 And Freebsd
  • Date: Thu Oct 3 13:06:02 2002

At 19:01 +0100 02/10/02, Mark Gill wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 02 '02 at 18:04, Fredrik Nordanmyr wrote:
>> Now i just got a HD44780 40x4 and want to connect it to my FreeBSD serve=
r.
>> I compiled everything fine and with no error.
>> But when i try to start LCDd i get an error message, saying
>> " Bus error sudo ./LCDd -c /etc/LCDd.conf (core dumped)"
>> Does anyone have any ideas ??
>
>Actually, yes. I was stepping through the source at the weekend, and found
>that the core dump can be averted on FreeBSD by applying the following patc=
>to /server/drivers/port.h (0.4.3 source):
>
>144c144
>< outb(val,port);
>---
>> outb(port,val);

Wow, I'm puzzled... It seemed to me that we tested this stuff. Hum...
I remember testing it on OpenBSD and NetBSD, and testing on FreeBSD
only with the curses driver... Darn, isn't that Murphy's law at its
best?

Could someone confirm this, I can't find the documentation for
inb/outb on FreeBSD...

>That gets LCDd up and running in hd44780 mode, but there seem to be a numbe=
>of issues with the LCDproc client too.

Yep, some screens of LCDproc client have not been ported to BSD, it's
in the TODO file if you're interested. 8)
Here's an excerpt from TODO:
-----
Port the lcdproc client screens to *BSD.

Thomas Runge ported the 4.0-pre9 client to *BSD but we forgot to
merge it in the CVS tree back them.
The patch is available at: http://core.de/~coto/misc/lcdproc_bsd.diff.gz
A backup copy is available at: http://lcdproc.sf.net/lcdproc_bsd.diff.gz

The main problem in applying this patch is to make it work with
autoconf/automake.

I estimate the time to do this to between 1 and 4 hours per screen.
The person applying to port should have access to at least one BSD
account (sourceforge compile farm provide a BSD box, ask the mailing
list if you don't know how to access it).

The port should be tested on FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD before
applying it to the CVS tree. Just ask the mailing list for testing.

STATUS: chrono.c, cpu.c, disk.c have been ported.
-----

Thanks for the fix,
GFK's
--