[Lcdproc] LCD driver for PA-RISC machines

  • From: bock AT blacknet.de (Goetz Bock)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] LCD driver for PA-RISC machines
  • Date: Wed Oct 2 17:26:01 2002

On Wed, Oct 02 '02 at 18:53, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
> [ ... we want to utilerise the HD44780 compatible display that is
> attached to some HP parisc boxes with a proprietary bus ... ]
There are some options:
- you might want to emulate one of the serial LCDs (CFontz or
MatrixOrbital) with your character device. If you choose this route,
I'd suggest MatrixOrbital, but I don't know if MO has 2x16 LCDs.
OTOH there are MatrixOrbital emulators for the Palm, X and some more
devices.
- you might want to add this bus as a wiring sheme to the generic
hd44780 driver. In this case LCDd does all the requires initialisation
and you should be done quit fast.
While adding more and more proprietary wiring shemes is not the best
way, it's the best one known for now. And this route is usually used
(e.g. my fli4l and the lcdusb driver).
- there is a pseudo standart of a /dev/lcd, that is implemented by
various indevidual modules (kernelconcepts.de as one for the fli4l
wiring, there is one for the winamp wiring somewhere and usblcd.de has
one for it's usblcd module), but there are no lcdprod drivers for this
interface.
And I've no idea how this device should behave.
--
Goetz Bock (c) 2002 as blacknet.de - Munich - Germany /"\
IT Consultant GNU FDL 1.1 secure mobile Linux everNETting \ /