[Lcdproc] hd44780 weird display/driver problem

  • From: robijn AT natlab.research.philips.com (Joris Robijn)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] hd44780 weird display/driver problem
  • Date: Tue Oct 1 11:13:02 2002

> I have a 40x2 HD44780 in the "winamp" wiring scheme. Two weird things,
> probably related:
> 1) I HAVE to run LCDd once in "8bit" mode, THEN run in "winamp" mode
> for anything to be
> displayed. Just running winamp makes a blank screen.During 8bit, there
> is no display, but as soon as I close LCDd, the ending message shows
> up. (But it is garbled as described below).
> 2)Itdisplays the first
> line, and some of the second line characters intertwined on line 1.
> Nothing ever shows up on line 2.

Now that's weird. Both wiring methods use the same logical code.
Only at the level of 'which bit is which wire' they are
different (plus the 8bit can do something with some old external
program but that does not make any difference). Are you sure
you've wired it correctly ?

Can you tell us what version of LCDproc you are using and where
you got it from ?

> Note that as soon as I close the winamp mode, if I run it again it
> displays nothing, and I have to start over in 8bit mode. Uuuggh! Can
> anyone help me? Is it possible that any hd44780 uses different
> protocols or wiring?

Did you set the display size correctly ? Have you tried the
speed tweaks ? See docs at http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/docs/

Hope this helps.
Joris
--