[Lcdproc] hd44780 weird display/driver problem

  • From: nchidsey AT bw.edu (Nick Chidsey)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] hd44780 weird display/driver problem
  • Date: Tue Oct 1 08:20:02 2002

I have a 40x2 HD44780 in the "winamp" wiring scheme. Two weird things,
probably related:
1) I HAVE to run LCDd once in "8bit" mode, THEN run in "winamp" mode for
anything to be displayed. Just running winamp makes a blank screen. During
8bit, there is no display, but as soon as I close LCDd, the ending message
shows up. (But it is garbled as described below).
2) It displays the first line, and some of the second line characters
intertwined on line 1. Nothing ever shows up on line 2.

Note that as soon as I close the winamp mode, if I run it again it displays
nothing, and I have to start over in 8bit mode. Uuuggh! Can anyone help
me? Is it possible that any hd44780 uses different protocols or wiring?