[Lcdproc] Using 0.5 Menus with CFontz633

  • From: robijn AT natlab.research.philips.com (Joris Robijn)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Using 0.5 Menus with CFontz633
  • Date: Tue Sep 24 08:32:01 2002

On 23 Sep 2002 at 16:35, Aleksandr Milewski wrote:

> Well, I took all of your advice, and have built my IP configuration
> tool using the v0.5 menu system.
>
> This works pretty well, but I think the use of keys could be better
> within a few of the menu widgets.

Ah good to hear this positive reaction.

> In particular, it would be nice if left and right moved the cursor in
> an alpha and numeric screens, and the "enter" key (a green check)
> would save the result.

> Similarly it seems more intuitive for left and right to move through a
> ring, and have enter save the result.

Yes. I understand that would be more intuitive if you HAVE these
keys. I would like it too, but things do also need to work if
you have only 4 keys.

I can add something that allows both of these modes to work, so
that the behaviour of Enter depends on the used mode. Should be
possible.

> I'm willing to try my hand at patching these in, but I'm not much of a
> C programmer, so the results might be a bit more pleasant if one of
> the core developers were to make this change.

:) np.

> Also, for my application I'd really like to disable the menus that are
> not my own. Is there any harm in simply commenting these lines out of
> menuscreens.c?

On itself not. But I don't know what will happen.

> Finally, it strikes me as odd that lcdproc (the client) doesn't accept
> priority as a parameter I'd like to be able to run lcdproc at a low
> priority (as I do my own screens) so it doesn't step on the menu.

Priorities are heavily under construction on my harddrive :) It
does not work, you're right, and in my opinion the priorities
never did really useful things. I'm modifying it to have work
with priority classes, that should be {hidden, background,
normal, foreground, alert, input} (in order of increasing
priority). An app sets this for itself when it starts and when
it changes it's working mode. So when your MP3 player is active
it is foreground, when it is idle it goes to background (it has
no info to show). See earlier mails on this idea.

> BTW, I'm using an 'alpha' with -minlength 7 -maxlength 15 -allow_caps
> false -allow_noncaps false -allowed_extra "." for IP addresses, and a
> ring for netmasks, and am pretty happy with the result.
> Thanks for all the help!

Great !

Joris
--