[Lcdproc] Volunteering?

  • From: David GLAUDE Mailing" <dglaudemailing AT gmx.net (David GLAUDE Mailing)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Volunteering?
  • Date: Thu Sep 19 19:19:01 2002

> I felt really happy to see all these answers yesterday. The project look
> really active and promising. I'm sorry if what I ask has been asnwered
> before, I did not find any search facilities on the mail list and thought
> that browsing through megs (gigs) of messages would be a waste of time.

There is an archieve of this list.
If you search in the archieve you might find reference to a search engine:
http://lists.omnipotent.net/pipermail/lcdproc/

> It gives me some time, to work on the crystalfontz 632.
> I would prefer rather than do just another driver to work on the lcdproc
> and add the extra functionality for the 632.

Yes of course.

Actually you will only mess with two files cfontz.c and cfontz.h.
And we have a CVS so we can revert your change if you are mistaken.
Now I suggest you don't mess with 0.4.x except if it is for a bug or
really missing feature that other LCD have (and it can be proven stable).

So you have to go for 0.5 where everything is possible.
If you API request, best is to talk publicaly with Joris.

> If you believe this is not good because it will mess with the generality
> of the project then I'll go ahead with a 632 specific C++ driver. Let me
know
> what you think and then we can go ahead with the details.

You have to take care not to try thing not possible on a previous
version of the hardware. Your pixel by pixel scrolling is one of those.
Also don't forget that the same code work for 632 and 634...
So you have to take care not to break that too.

I think it should be possible to do pixel by pixel scrolling by software
on other LCD, so I would say we should or could put that in the API anyway!
I guess my LCD is a new one so I can not help you with testing backward
compatibility.

Typicaly once you know you have code to submit, you request CVS access.
>From there you can send code directly.
Since you care about one driver only and two files, you can send stuff by
mail too.

David GLAUDE