[Lcdproc] RFC: 0.4.3 key presses (fwd)

  • From: robijn AT robijn.net (Joris Robijn)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] RFC: 0.4.3 key presses (fwd)
  • Date: Fri Mar 29 15:31:05 2002

Forgot to CC

----- Forwarded message from Joris Robijn -----

From: Joris Robijn <robijn>
Subject: Re: [Lcdproc] RFC: 0.4.3 key presses
To: Rene Wagner
<reenoo AT gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:22:04 +0100 (CET)
CC:
joris AT robijn.net

> At the moment the server sends all keys a client has requested
> to that client.
>
> That behaviour doesn't work that well IMHO.

I think there is more that is not right in that area. We have discussed that
some time ago. Currently in 0.4.3 that code is far from complete. You
can make a hack around some keystuff thinks, but maybe that brings up
some new problem...

We need to have two ways of reserving a key:
shared: for keys that should be usable by other clients too. Only if a
client is in front it will receive the keypresses it has opted for.
exclusively: this key can only be delivered to this client. The client
can force itself to the front by inceasing priority, and can then also
use other keys it has reserved shared.

For 0.4.3 we can of course not introduce that yet.

> Should we make that a config file option?
>
> E.g. EnableServerMenu=yes|no
>
> Where yes also implies that the keys A, B, C, D are NOT
> sent to clients?

A, B and C can be send to clients, but only if the menu is not active.
D is only for the menu, it forces it in front at any time. So if you
make a fix for this, I think that is what is should do.

I'm for v0.5 I want to make a [menu] section in the config file. We could
already start using this new section with an Enabled=no/yes option
in 0.4.3.

Joris

--
Joris Robijn
<joris AT robijn.net>

----- End of forwarded message from Joris Robijn -----

  • [Lcdproc] RFC: 0.4.3 key presses (fwd), Joris Robijn, 03/29/2002