[Lcdproc] hd44780 driver and keypresses

  • From: reenoo AT gmx.de (Rene Wagner)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] hd44780 driver and keypresses
  • Date: Fri Mar 29 12:29:02 2002

NOTE: The following is only valid for the stable-0-4-3 CVS branch
of LCDproc.

> > I am trying to get keypresses detected by the hd44780 driver sent to
> > irmp3. It seems to me though that no key presses actually arrive at
> > irmp3. but LCDd definately detects them as i can see the key presses
> > in the debug messages.
> >
> > Is there a way to check if LCDd is actually sending the keypresses to
> > irmp3?
>
> If I'm correct the client needs to reserve the keys before it can
> receive them. It's not yet very well documented I think.

Well, it is ;)
It's documented in docs/netstuff.txt. But it's described as
"not implemented yet", which is simply wrong.

client_add_key <keylist>
and
screen_add_key <screenid> <keylist>

are implemented and work properly.

BTW: screen_add_key is not mentioned in netstuff.txt.
I guess, we'll have to update that file ;)

> If I'm
> correct it works like "client_add_key A" or screen_add_key S A". Just
> try it and evt see client_functions.c to be sure.
>
> We did make a change in the protocol requiring clients to register
> keys.

We didn't really change the protocol.
This behaviour was AFAIK planned from the beginning. At least
docs/netstuff.txt already describes it this way in the
lcdproc-0.4.1 tarball.

It was just not correctly implemented.

> That was not the case in the past, all clients received all
> keys, so there was no telling which one was going to respond and what
> would happen :)

And that's the problem with irmp3.

I've just had a look at the irmp3-0.4.2 sources.
irmp3 only waits for LCDd to send something like:

key <key>

Which can never happen, because irmp3 does NOT send
one of the commands above to request key presses.

So, this is a bug in irmp3 ;)

PS: The keys A, B, C, D should NOT be reserved by a client, as
they are needed for the server menu.

Regards,

Rene

--
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.