[Lcdproc] HD44780 Keypad Function

  • From: reenoo AT gmx.de (Rene Wagner)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] HD44780 Keypad Function
  • Date: Fri Mar 1 17:19:01 2002

On Fre, 2002-03-01 at 17:24, Joris Robijn wrote:
> > sorry my english ist not the best.
>
> Well I must say it's pretty good.

Most of us aren't native English speakers. We do our very best...
That's it.

> > i had compiled the new lcdproc 0.4.3 from the nithgly update and it
> > works after initalies with the lcd prog fine. now i had added a key
> > pad with 5 keys.
> >
> > No my problem. i will add some funktions like halt, reboot, pppoed
> > start and stop. how can i map it to the keyboard ?
>
> What you want is currently not possible by the server. There is a way
> to do it from a client. You would need to write a client that
> reserves all the keys that you want to use. It could then start a
> script or whatever for the different keypresses.

Well, doesn't the HD44780 driver send keys (chars) to the server?

If so that's all rather simple ;)
At least it's simple to make it possible to use the server menu.
The driver just has to return one of the INPUT_<keyname> chars.

And adding functionality to the server menu is really simple
(Have a look at server/menus.c.) Unfortunately you have to
hardcode the commands.
Personally, I don't like the server running commands itself.
Having that done by a client is much safer, but that's something
for 0.5.

> For v0.5 I'm thinking about and working on new things for the menu.
> Something interesting is the ability to execute commands from the
> menu. If that was implemented you would have what you want I guess.
> The keystuff is quite immature, and changing a lot. I hope v0.5 will
> soon offer a nice, easy to use solution for you.

I hope you're not going to implement anything that enables a client
to make the server execute commands. Otherwise we're running into
security problems again.

Client supplied menus - nothing else!

Rene