[Lcdproc] more work in progress

  • From: joris AT robijn.net (Joris Robijn)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] more work in progress
  • Date: Tue Dec 11 13:27:01 2001

> In current ("dev") CVS AFAIK yes!

OK. We would make a figure if we had that still after 1.5 years !

> > I will adapt driver
> > so that they work again.
>
> Much work to be done, right? Just let me know what to change and I'll
> do it for my driver (lcdm001.c).

Yes, for some drivers that's a lot of work. I've just (almost)
completed HD44780, that one was really big. text driver was easy, and
other drivers will not be a real problem. What I do is:
1. create a PrivateData struct and put all global variables in it;
2. Adapt all function definitions so that they have drvthis as first
parameter;
3. Add code to retrieve the private data struct on the first line in
a function;
4. Allocate the private struct in init() and store it.

I can do this very fast already :) I guess you want to get familiar
with the new API too, so I will leave lcdm001.c untouched.

> > Would be great. I guess you mean client supplied menus.
>
> Exactly ;) But we need to agree on a way of handling the keys first.
> That's what your API changes are about, right?

Well it does return a key description instead of a keycode/letter.
That means that you can expect "Enter" or "Select" and "ArrowUp" from
the driver(s), not 'B' anymore.

> > If noone else
> > has already done so, I can check how much there is to be done on key-
> > reservations.
>
> You mean a client reserving a key?

Yes. And ultimately, let the menu behave itself like a client. Then
it should also need to reserve keys, like it should. The menu is now
'stealing' keys that it wants...

> > What I can do is start a CVS branch, instead of using the default
> > HEAD branch. Later, when it's time for 0.5, we can make that the
> > default branch. Good plan ?
>
> Great plan ;)
> But please be patient with CVS newbies like me ;)
> I'm really happy when a commit is successful ;)

It's my first CVS too. I'l have to dig into some docs... I'm so glad
cvs has a -n option ;)

Joris

--
Joris Robijn