[Lcdproc] GPL and loadable module

  • From: David GLAUDE Mailing" <dglaudemailing AT gmx.net (David GLAUDE Mailing)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] GPL and loadable module
  • Date: Mon Dec 10 18:04:01 2001

> > I disagree - I would think that any NEW driver code could be licensed
> > under an OSI approved license. OSI is the Open Source Initiative.
>
> The drivers are currently GPLed. To change that you would need to get
> the agreement of all developers of the past. Some parts are even from
> other programs, so I think it's impossible.

Over my dead body. ;-)
Don't reuse any of my MtxOrb Custom char stuff.

Don't even inspire (copy and past) your code from any other GPL driver.
Don't use any include file from LCDproc.

But of course if you develop your own code that work as a driver for
LCDproc,
you could use double licencing so that it is available under another licence
too.
But if it does not compile outside of LCDproc, then it is useless with
another licence. ;-)

When you start with GPL, you are stuck with it... It is a virus, ask Bill.
;-)

Also remember that not all OSI approved licence
are FSF approved as "compatible" with GPL.

David GLAUDe