[Lcdproc] Re: GPL and loadable module

  • From: David GLAUDE Mailing" <dglaudemailing AT gmx.net (David GLAUDE Mailing)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Re: GPL and loadable module
  • Date: Fri Dec 7 10:04:01 2001

> GPL IS VERY IMPORTANT ! ;)
Agree.

> I've taken some code from the MtxOrb, curses and sed1330 drivers and
> modified the code to work for my display.
I made a lot of modification in the original MtxOrb.c file.
Most of the custom char logic is mine.
But I did not put my name anywhere in copyright stuff (nor the date).
I don't know who made the getopt code and the type of LCD code.
But they are on this list.

> extract from the GPL 2:
> "This General Public License does not permit incorporating your program
into
> proprietary programs. If your program is a subroutine library, you may
> consider it more useful to permit linking proprietary applications with
the
> library. If this is what you want to do, use the GNU Library General
> Public License instead of this License."

This is very clear, but what about those Linux loadable module.
Linux kernel is GPL but maybe they added an exception???
Or they read the licence another way (I don't remember the whole story).
That's why I wanted LCDproc to be clear about do and don't.

David GLAUDE