[Lcdproc] Re: GPL and loadable module

  • From: n9ubh AT callsign.net (David Douthitt)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Re: GPL and loadable module
  • Date: Fri Dec 7 04:07:02 2001

On 12/6/01 at 6:12 PM, William W. Ferrell
<wwf AT splatwerks.org>
wrote:

> LCDproc can be used for any purpose, commercially or
> otherwise. If a product is released for public (or
> private, commercial, or licensed) consumption that is in
> part or wholly based on LCDproc or any of its code, the
> source code to that product must be made publically
> available free of charge, in its entirety.

That's the GPL.

> A client or driver isn't a separate "product", because
> they won't work with anything besides LCDproc.

Does that mean that syslinux isn't a separate product because it only
works with DOS disks? Or that LCDproc isn't a separate product
because it only works with UNIX? A client could work with anything
that gave it the appropriate interface, and I would classify as a
separate product. There's many clients available totally separately
from LCDproc.

However, drivers (currently) are tightly interwoven with the code; I
don't know if they would qualify for different licenses or not. I
mean, would it be invalid to release a driver under the BSD License
when the server uses the GPL?

When loadable drivers come along, I see no problem with such a
situation.
--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator