[Lcdproc] Character set mapping and other API related (was the } issue).

  • From: David GLAUDE Mailing" <dglaudemailing AT gmx.net (David GLAUDE Mailing)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Character set mapping and other API related (was the } issue).
  • Date: Mon Dec 3 01:35:01 2001

>From: "Joris Robijn"
><joris AT robijn.net>
>

> > I am sorry for European (Latin), Greek, East (Cyrilic), Kanji and
whatever.
> > But LCDd cannot overcome the hardware limitation/variation.
> > Maybe we could accomodate a few Latic char for french, dutch, german,
> > by using custom char on MtxOrb or CrystalFz but is it worth it and
> > who want to change the API for that?
>
> Some driver writers have used character mapping to enhance the
> displaying of special characters. Many umlaut (") characters are
> displayed correctly. But there is no guarantee at all.

What code page is asumed then? Latin-1?
Maybe this would be a usefull information to gather and propagate.
What can expect a client (expect for ASCII 7 bits)?
What should other driver try to mimic (MtxOrb???)?

> > CrystalFontz Rom V2 support a scroller line widget (see the web site).
> > This would be possible too by software on a MatrixOrbital LCD and many
> > other.
> > But to support that we need to change the API (hint hint hint).
>
> What parameters should we need for the call ?

A scroller is a bit like a string,
except that the string we send is bigger than the space were
we want to print it...
So something like (x,y,lenght,string) should be OK
[No warping please]

Another issue is that the driver need to receave some kind of a "beat"
to be able to "move" the scroller on the LCD.
This is kind of a silent _heartbeat or IBM PC BIOS ticks interupt.
That way driver don't need to implement "alarm" mechanisme.

Now for the API, we may want a bit more, like style...
Start shifting on the left
Start shifting on the right
Continuous shifting (bouncing shifting)
Or restart from the begining (Left or Right) when we reach the end.
Complete char or with custom char to make smoth shifting like
CrystalFontz
And a speed
How many ticks before we move a complete char?
And delay
When do we start shifting (after how much time to let peaple read the
begining)?

Well, let's have a look at CrystalFontz documentation,
let's asume that's the minimum kind of API we need and we could do better
by software.

> > Where _icon is the NEW API for writing a special char on the LCD
> > (might use custom char).
>
> I'm working on it. It's a damn lot of work :) I've already decided to
> postpone the modification of the hbar/vbar function for now. It seems
> the lcdproc protocol also uses pixels, so we need an extra conversion
> anyway :(

We have a momentum on this mailing list.
Developper are arround and working.
So we need to avoid posponing too much or it would be too late.
What help do you need?

David GLAUDE