[Lcdproc] Character set mapping and other API related (was the } issue).

  • From: David GLAUDE Mailing" <dglaudemailing AT gmx.net (David GLAUDE Mailing)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Character set mapping and other API related (was the } issue).
  • Date: Mon Dec 3 00:36:02 2001

>Where do you all map out the character set?
We don't!
There is no concept of character set, nor font, nor unicode, nor anything
like that.
Basicaly we don't know about the various special char available from various
hardware.
Let's say we hope and assume ASCII 7 bit are there at the right place.
This might mean anything from 32 to 127.
Anything above is unpredictable (if you don't know your hardware).

I am sorry for European (Latin), Greek, East (Cyrilic), Kanji and whatever.
But LCDd cannot overcome the hardware limitation/variation.
Maybe we could accomodate a few Latic char for french, dutch, german, ...
by using custom char on MtxOrb or CrystalFz but is it worth it and
who want to change the API for that?

>If character 255 is what is sent as a full block.
>And CF says 31 is a full block then a matrix of some sort should remap the
meaning.
>Is this done, or am I missing something?
You have just discover that the server core and the API and the whole
project
was MatrixOrbital minded. Some of the core original author received hardware
from MatrixOrbital and did visit them.
For the same reason BigNum is following the MatrixOrbital semantics (3*4)
where other LCD use a (4*4) big font.

CrystalFontz Rom V2 support a scroller line widget (see the web site).
This would be possible too by software on a MatrixOrbital LCD and many
other.
But to support that we need to change the API (hint hint hint).

Somehow, if we implement many thing in software in the driver,
this make all the hardware equal and you could use a cheap hardware
and have the same effect on your lcd.

Now what we need is the server core to stop thinking that 255 is a black box
and use a function like xxx_icon(x,y,TITLE_BOX) [Not in the API yet]
and the driver will see what is the most appropriate way to make a black
box.
Where _icon is the NEW API for writing a special char on the LCD
(might use custom char).

David GLAUDE