[Lcdproc] CPU load

  • From: reenoo AT gmx.de (Rene Wagner)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] CPU load
  • Date: Sat Dec 1 08:42:01 2001

Edoardo Serra
<edoardo.serra AT webrainstorm.it>
> Ok, thanks, LCDd is now running without check.pl, we will see.....
> In the meanwhile.... writing check.pl I use the skeleton included
> in the LCDd distribution, my client is something like:
>
> [...]
> $remote = IO::Socket::INET->new(
> Proto => "tcp",
> PeerAddr => "localhost",
> PeerPort => "13666",
> );
>
> $remote->autoflush(1);
>
> `sleep 1`; # Give server plenty of time to notice us...
>
> print $remote "hello\n";
> my $lcdconnect = <$remote>;
>
> fcntl($remote, F_SETFL, O_NONBLOCK);
>
> print $remote "client_set name {check}\n";
> print $remote "screen_add check\n";
> print $remote "screen_set check 128 name {XXXX}\n";
> print $remote "widget_add check title title\n";
> print $remote "widget_set check title {XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX}\n";
> print $remote "widget_add check one string\n";
> print $remote "widget_add check two string\n";
> print $remote "widget_add check three string\n";
> print $remote "widget_set check one 1 2 {xxxxxxxxxxx}\n";
>
> [.... nothing related to LCDd ...]
>
> while (1) {
> print $remote "widget_set check two 1 3 {XXXXXXXXXXx}\n";
> print $remote "widget_set check three 1 4 {$lcdstring}\n";
> sleep 5;
>
> [.... nothing related to LCDd ...]
>
> }
>
> Now.....
> which could the problem be with this client ???
> Is a bug concerned with perl clients in general or LCDd daemon itself
> ?

I'm NOT a perl expert ;)
But I've experienced the following:
A really simple client runs for a few minutes only, then crashes because of a
broken pipe :(
After changing the perl version (now 5.6.1 as shipped with Mdk 8.1)
everything works fine with the same code!
But another client (lcdnetstat) still keeps crashing not only itself but also
the server.
I've not had the time to have a look at its code. But of course a crash
shouldn't happen ;)

Regards,

Rene