[Lcdproc] Wiring a display.

  • From: joris AT robijn.net (Joris Robijn)
  • Subject: [Lcdproc] Wiring a display.
  • Date: Wed Oct 31 12:55:01 2001
On 31 Oct 2001, at 12:11, Robert Hart wrote:

> Hi, I am planning to build a display, probably based on a HD44780, as I
> can get hold of one fairly cheaply.
>
> Is the wiring diagram shown on the web page the 'best' way to do it. It
> looks fairly foolproof to me, but the information is a bit brief, and I
> have seen references to 8bit and winamp wiring, but not seen any more
> info.

The differences between the various wirings are minimal. Because the
4bit wiring needs to send two sets of data to transfer one command,
it is theoretically slower. In practise the drivers are so fast that
you don't notice it at all. CPU usage of LCDd is usually far below 1%.

See my pages http://robijn.net/lcdproc/ for info on the various
wirings. Also read the hd44780 howto in the CVS docs directory (you
can browse the CVS using your browser to read the file).

> Also, does the size of the display matter much. I'd like to build a 2x16
> because its substantially cheaper, and sufficient for what I want, but I
> am worried about driver support.

Size does not matter for the driver. With a size smaller than 20x4
some standard clients might have problems displaying things
correctly.

Joris

--
Joris Robijn