[lcdproc] Bug: Framebuffer Allocation

  • From: n9ubh AT callsign.net (David Douthitt)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Bug: Framebuffer Allocation
  • Date: Mon Oct 1 18:18:01 2001

joris AT robijn.net
wrote:

> The framebuffer is a queer thing. Appertly the driver and the server
> can freely read and write it. I would more like to see some
> separation.

I agree.

> If it's in the driver, only the driver should be able to access it
> directly. The server should then do so by calling functions to read
> and write it.

I agree also. I don't think the server changes framebuffer data, but
I'd also not be surprised if it did.

I really would like to have the framebuffer isolated into the drivers.

> Another way to go would be the framebuffer in the server. If you
> want to think deeper about this, keep in mind that we might want to
> go to graph-lcds one day, and that text-lcds have different
> character sizes.

Already happening - there is a MatrixOrbital GLK driver, which I
understand to be graphical.

  • [lcdproc] Bug: Framebuffer Allocation, David Douthitt, 10/01/2001