[lcdproc] Future Directions

  • From: madmatt AT bits.bris.ac.uk (Matt)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Future Directions
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 13:20:09 +0100 (BST)

Ethan Dicks mentioned the following:

| --- David Douthitt
<ssrat AT mailbag.com>
wrote:
| > I saw a Java-based LCD display emulator - unfortunately, it uses a
| > "script-loop" in that it reads a script, then performs it in a loop.
| > All one would need to do (?) is to get the program to where it just
| > continues to expect input (and not loop) - but can one do this with a
| > Javascript program?
|
| I don't think the Java sandbox allows you to access physical resources like
| the serial ports.

I did start writing a GTK+/GDK LCD emulator for X. It just about worked,
you talked to a pipe/fifo instead of a device. It emulated, (or at least
tried to emulate), a MtxOrb 20x4 LCD display. I just needed to fix it to
behave like a real one with regards to the wrapping behvaiour, etc.

It was reasonably modular, so you could make it emulate any other type of
serial display.

I haven't touched it for months, but I've still got the source kicking
about, although it'd take me a while to get back into it.

| > Has anyone worked on PalmOrb? I'd like to fix that if I could - the
| > project owner (and SOLE developer) hasn't responded to me.
|
| I wrote him a few months ago and he responded to me. What is it you want to
| fix? Personally, I always wanted to crank out a version that worked with
| PalmOS 2.0 because I have this Palm Personal sitting here that would make a
| fine emulator, except that PalmOrb requires the newer serial manager.

One that works with PalmOS 4.0 & colour would be nice, then I could have
it in green on my M505. :-)

Matt

--
"Phase plasma rifle in a forty-watt range?"
"Only what you see on the shelves, buddy."