[lcdproc] My patchs at last

  • From: ppokorny AT penguincomputing.com (Philip Pokorny)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] My patchs at last
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:13:09 -0700

Glen Gray wrote:
> I managed to get some timeout to do up some patchs for my changes. A
> pity I didn't get time before to apply them for the 0.4.1 release. Thats
> the way it goes sometimes.

So you got some timeout to do some timeout code... Was that pun
intended? [grin]

> Well this is my first ever patch so hurray for me. I hope it works. I
> had the following setup...
>
> A dir called cvs-lcdproc. In that dir I had two sub dirs
> lcdproc (as from CVS)
> new (copy of the lcdproc dir with my changes applied)
>
> I then ran "diff -C3 -r lcdproc new > diff.txt". So hopefully that'll
> work for someone to test it out.

If you've got CVS, you can use 'cvs diff' to diff your local changes
against the CVS tree. That would probably be easier than keeping two
copies of the sources. (unless you don't have much bandwidth for the
compare...)

> Changes that this adds.
> 1) Two new properties for the screen structure
> timeout
> backlight
> These can be set with
> screen_set #id [-]timeout <value in seconds>
> screen_set #id [-]backlight <on|off|toggle|flash|blink>

Isn't there already a backlight command, that affects the global
backlight state? In looking at your patch, it looks like you've
replaced the global backlight state with a per screen backlight state.
I like the addition of a per-screen backlight state so that the server
can make sure to set the backlight to the appropriate state for a given
screen automatically, but it looks like you've disabled the global
backlight state. Have I missed something? If not, what do you think
about having a "default" per-screen backlight state that says "no
preference" and in that case, the server uses the current global
backlight state. Also, if the server is started with the backlight in
the "locked" state, then that should override the per-screen backlight
settings just like it does the "backlight" protocol command.

Does that make sense?

On the subject of timeouts, what about specifying the timeout in screen
ticks. Most (all?) other time values in LCDproc are counted in ticks
(1/8th of a second) The timeout should be as well. This would mean it
could be an int. (Even though that really won't make any size difference
in most cases, it would be consistent with other parameters.)
Does that seem reasonable?

> 2) In main.c after the timeout we check the timeout value of the screen,
> it's it's expired the screen is removed.
>
> 3) I added two new startup parameters to allow you to choose the address
> and port to listen on. Very important for security, can limit to
> localhost etc.

Very cool. Good idea.

> Hope this works and I don't get flamed (:-D

Just feedback. Overall, a good patch. I'll hold on to it until I hear
from you.

> Glen "very nervous" Gray

Good job!
:v)

--
Philip Pokorny, Senior Engineer
http://www.penguincomputing.com

Penguin Computing - The World's Most Reliable Linux Systems