[lcdproc] Strange LED display - can anyone help?

  • From: erd AT iname.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Strange LED display - can anyone help?
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 19:25:13 -0700 (PDT)

--- Andrew Kurowski
<andrew AT purplebeetle.net>
wrote:
> I was recently given a 20 character by 2 line, 7x5 VFD...from a till...

I have been playing with similar items for a while, but haven't quite had
enough time to integrate my playing into the 0.4.x tree. What _I_ have
is a PD3000 (two models - one has a Futaba display inside and a piggyback
regulator board, the other is a real Logic Controls PD3000). I don't
know anything about your particular till display, but here in the States,
one standard is a 6-pin regular DIN with an adapter cable for most tills
(cash registers) that feeds in 6VAC @ > 500mA for power and RS-232 for
serial (DB-9 or DB-25, depending on model). I expect that there are some
devices that accept the DIN-6 directly, but mostly, with the advent of
PeeCee-compatible tills here, the adapter cable is handy.

There are, I've found, four basic command sets in use. None of them are
remotely like Matrix Orbital or CrystalFontz or any of that. In fact, they
are similar in nature to the PIC-n-LCD, but not particularly compatible with
it. The protocols are mostly ASCII-based, with the lower control codes used
set display intensity, scroll mode, cursor position and the like.

If you can figure out which pins of your PS/2 connector are power and which
is data, you can probably hook it onto a serial port and blast characters at
it with HyperTerm, Kermit or any similar program.

One limitation of most Pre-LCD-compatible VFDs - they do not support the same
quantity of programmable characters. Heartbeat might be possible; bar graphs
will be tricky unless you want to send the entire programmable character down
the pipe (at 9600 baud) every time the value changes. If it only needs to
change when the screen changes, that might work. If it needs to bounce
around,
it's going to be somewhat slow.

-ethan

=====