[lcdproc] HD44780 Speed Issues (WAS: Trouble using FreeBSD and HD44780 drivers)

  • From: cj AT cjbaar.com (CJ Baar)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] HD44780 Speed Issues (WAS: Trouble using FreeBSD and HD44780 drivers)
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:16:27 -0600

OK--Finally got LCDd to compile and run on a FreeBSD system using an
HD44780 display.

NOW...
...my issue is speed. When I pipe commands to the server, it takes between
2 and 5+ seconds for the server process to respond with "success"... then
it takes the LCD display about 2 seconds to update the entire screen.

Is this the best performance I can expect out of the parallel port, or is
there some refresh/data transfer values somewhere that can be tweaked?
Should a serial display (Cfontz or Matrix) be faster?

ALSO...
...how do I get rid of the blinking heart in the upper-right corner of the
display?