[lcdproc] compiling/autoconf

  • From: ppokorny AT penguincomputing.com (Philip Pokorny)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] compiling/autoconf
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:27:52 -0700

Guillaume Filion wrote:

> Hi Joris,
>
> I spent last night swearing at autoconf/automake on another project
> (starchart), so I'm not an autoconf expert, but I'm getting used to
> it.
>
> The "problem" here is that lcdproc use automake and autoconf, so your
> commands should have been:

[snip]
No need to be so explicit. There is a shell script that will do all
this for you!

sh autogen.sh

Not sure why autogen.sh isn't setup with execute permissions in CVS. As
soon as I figure out how to change that I will, and then you should just
be able to do:

./autogen.sh

The autogen.sh script, also takes care of the missing files. As
mentioned in a later post, "automake --add-missing" will supply the
missing files automatically, which is what autogen.sh does...

> The configure scripts now works, if gives me a:
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -Wall -Wp,-lang-c-c++-comments
> -Wno-unused -O6 ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> cannot create executables.
> But I guess that's another story...

Most (all) of the LCDproc source code uses C++ style comments, so
-lang-c-c++-comments is going to be required to compile the code.
-Wno-unused silences a large number of warnings that result from the way
the debug code is turned on/off in LCDproc ( "debug" is #defined to
"printf" or "" in debug.h ).

I just pulled from CVS into an empty directory and did:

sh autogen.sh
./configure
make

And it built LCDd and the lcdproc client. I'm running RedHat 6.2 with
egcs-2.91.66.

I've updated the INSTALL file to reflect the need to run autogen.sh
before running ./configure.