[lcdproc] lcdproc style project

  • From: I.Blizard-97 AT student.lboro.ac.uk (I Blizard)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] lcdproc style project
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:42:39 +0100

Hi all,

** Bear with me now. **

I'm currently developing a system for athletes which enables them to train
better and therefore become better athletes.

Overview of system:

User wears an LCD display (prototype based on matrixorbital 20*4), this has
a serial IR (IrDA compliant) link to a linux machine.
The linux server is running something similar to lcdproc, which
communicates to the LCD via a TCP/IP client -> server connection.

The idea is to have a website coupled with database that allows user to set
up their own training schedules and download them to their displays from
any location.

Scenario:

1. User wakes up - logs into the website with username and passwd.
2. They set up their training schedule for the day, choose how many lenghts
they aim to do at the swimming pool, how many laps at the running circuit,
how many sets of exercises to do in the gym etc...
3. They go to the gym first, point their training aid (LCD device) at the
Infra data port and download their schedule - this obviously requires some
form of authentication to the server in order to download the correct
information - and maybe even some generic training schedules.
4. Whilst the user is training, the device monitors heartrate and can also
record lap times (stop-watch funcitonality).
5. The user is about to finish their session and downloads their
information back to the data port which should then update that users
profile on the webserver.
6. The user gets home and logs onto the website - it should have a
recording of their laptimes, heartrate, maximum/minimum etc.

If anyone is interested in throwing any ideas into the pot, please contact
me:
elib AT student.lboro.ac.uk

-Ian.