[lcdproc] HD44780 step 2

  • From: joris AT robijn.net (Joris Robijn)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] HD44780 step 2
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:18:16 +0100

Hi

> 2, Vdd (+5v) at my lcd). I read somewhere on the web that at system
> startup the lcd should print information on its bios version. But when I
> turn the power on, it just prints 2 bars which are 1 dot broad in the

The BIOS info is printed on (some?) serial displays for what i've
understood. The parallel ones give some kind of bar usually.

> there might be something wrong in my power wiring... Then in

Just check whether the 5V is at the right pins, if that's ok, not much
will go wrong.

> Makefile.config I have to type the device the lcd is connected to. What
> is the appropriate name for my printer parallel port in linux? Sorry for

I myself have used the 0.4pre9 source, and this one does not use this
device setting further. If you use 0.4pre9 you should set the port
setting in hd44780.c, there is a line saying

unsigned int port = 0x378;

somewhere (I've noticed that the setting from the Makefile.config does
not work for me for some reason).

Good luck
Joris