[lcdproc] HD44780 step 2

  • From: zender AT coli.uni-sb.de (Hendrik Zender)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] HD44780 step 2
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:38:27 +0100

Hello.
First of all thanks for the quick help. The websites were very useful to me!
Okay, I wired it the way described by A. McMeikan's picture as 4bit.
The power comes from a harddisk power cable using one black wire as ground
(pin 1, Vss (GND,OV) at my lcd) and the red one as +5v power (pin 2, Vdd
(+5v) at my lcd).
I read somewhere on the web that at system startup the lcd should print
information on its bios version. But when I turn the power on, it just prints
2 bars which are 1 dot broad in the beginning of each line. These bars then
start to disappear dot by dot. I wonder if that is right. I haven't gone
further cos I am afraid that there might be something wrong in my power
wiring...
Then in Makefile.config I have to type the device the lcd is connected to.
What is the appropriate name for my printer parallel port in linux?
Sorry for these stupid questions!
--
Hendrik Zender
Student of Computional Linguistics