[lcdproc] 2x20 HD44780 how to?

  • From: joris AT robijn.net (Joris Robijn)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] 2x20 HD44780 how to?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:07:07 +0100

From: Hendrik Zender
<zender AT coli.uni-sb.de>
Send reply to:
zender AT coli.uni-sb.de
Date sent: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:50:03 +0100
To:
lcdproc AT lists.omnipotent.net

> Hello!
> I own an LCD made by Samsung which is said to be HD44780 compatible.
> It's got 2x20 characters and no backlight. No I am wondering how to
> interface this to my pc's parallel port. It has got 14 pins. Can anybody
> please help me. I am quite a newbie to this domain, but one has to start
> once... Okay, I need to know which pins I have to solder to which ones
> of the parallel port and how to get power supply, right? Take care
> Hendrik -- Hendrik Zender Student of Computional Linguistics University
> Of Saarland, Saarbr=FCcken
> zender AT coli.uni-sb.de

Almost all HD44780 displays (except >=3D 4x40 it seems) have a standard
pinning. For the wiring see the source of lcdproc or check the HD44780
wiring overview I've compiled a while ago:
http://www.robijn.net/lcdproc/
>From there are links to other sources of info too, including the
modular driver from Benjamin Tse, that is currently part of the alpha-
source in CVS.

Joris

--
Joris Robijn