[lcdproc] menus

  • From: wwf AT frontierdev.com (William W. Ferrell)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] menus
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 08:09:09 -0700

* Joris Robijn
(joris AT robijn.net)'s
mailer blew these chunks:

> > What it does is whenever you press a button, it sends a code to
> > either LCDd or the current client.
> >
> > It's pretty simple right now. It just sends letters "A"
> > through "Z", and A-D are taken by LCDd. It lets you go to the
> > previous / next screen, and navigate menus.
>
> Yes, question about those menus.
>
> Many keypads (including mine) have only a limited number of keys. In
> principle a menu should be completely navigatable with 4 keys, and it
> works perfectly with my display. What's the plan for the menus... Are
> all the other functions also reacheable with only 4 keys ? I saw there
> is a (mainly unused) "Screens" menuitem in the LCDproc menu, is this
> meant for this purpose ?

Yes. Among other things. Here's a menu structure I sort of had planned
for LCDproc v0.5 (all of it is usable with only 4 buttons).

MAIN MENU
LCDproc Server ->
Devices ->
[List o' All Devices], then for each device:
Contrast [127]
Backlight [x]
Blink Backlight [x]

Options ->
General ->
Screen Time [0m05s]
Allow Priorities[x]

Screen Order ->
Order by Priority[x]
Manual Ordering ->
(###) Screen Title
(###) Screen Title

Clients ->
[List o' All Clients], for each client:
Info ->
Screen List ->
Connection Stats->
Etc.
Disconnect ->
Request Restart ->
System ->
Reboot
Shutdown
Arbitrary Command

Yeah, the system menu will probably go away since it's a gaping security
hole. Unless one were to assign a password to this and activating a
command produced this:

** SHUTDOWN ********
Password: __________
< ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP >
[ENTER] Submits

The third line would be a scroller that the user moves through with the
left and right (up/down, whatever) buttons and picks the letters of the
password. It'd need to be echoed (but I suppose we could make that
configurable too :)

--
William W. Ferrell, Senior System Administrator, Global Crossing Ltd.
950 17th St Ste 2200, Denver, CO 80202 1.303.223.0564

Public key available:
gpg --keyserver certserver.pgp.com --recv-key 7478FC7A

A Difficulty for Every Solution.
-- Motto of the Federal Civil Service