[lcdproc] Some emulation-related questions

  • From: wwf AT frontierdev.com (William W. Ferrell)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Some emulation-related questions
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:29:51 -0600

* Matthew J Dainty
(madmatt AT bits.bris.ac.uk)'s
mailer blew these chunks:
> As I have been busily coding this emulator, I am starting to get some of
> the basic code in place, but I have some questions that maybe some of you
> LCD'ers can answer:
>
> 1) Where does the MtxOrb store the custom characters? I figure the only
> common space between the LCD and VFD models is characters 0-15. Is this
> correct? Or are they separate from the standard 256 characters?

I don't know where it actually *stores* them internally (and I suspect
it doesn't matter for your implementation), but to *display* them you
just send 0x00 through 0x07 for characters 1-8, just as if they were
"normal printable" text.

> 2) Thanks for the Crystal URL, does anyone know where I can get the
> bitmaps of all the characters used by the Crystal displays? I've got the
> MtxOrb ones from the manual that came with my display, but I can't find
> the Crystal ones...any ideas?

I can't find those either. Smeg. It might end up being a matter of
displaying characters on the LCD, 80 characters at a time, unless the
Crystal Fontz gang has any bitmaps they'd care to send us :)

--
William W. Ferrell, System Administrator, Global Crossing Ltd.
950 17th St Ste 2200, Denver, CO 80202 1.303.223.0564

Public key available:
gpg --keyserver certserver.pgp.com --recv-key 7478FC7A

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
-- W.E. Hickson