[lcdproc] SGML semi-expert sought

  • From: wwf AT frontierdev.com (William W. Ferrell)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] SGML semi-expert sought
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 19:06:03 -0600

Hey folks,

Partly 'cause I'm curious if anyone actually *reads* my posts to the
list anymore (aside from vendors to catch my price quote fuckups :), and
partly because I could seriously use the help:

DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING WHATSOEVER about using DocBook on a Debian
Linux box?

I've got SGMLtools, and it does a great job rendering HTML and DVI files
but has a few problems:

HTML:
Images are always fucked up and are never handled right. If I create
callouts, for example, in source code prints, it is supposed to
produce and copy the little numbers-in-the-circles things to the right
spot. It doesn't.

<WARNING>, <NOTE>, and <CAUTION> blocks don't get their images done
right either.

DVI:
<WARNING>, <NOTE>, and <CAUTION> blocks don't get their images done
right.

Lists get *INCREDIBLY* screwed up. Imaging I'm putting this very list
of complaints into a "SimpleList" block, with "HTML" and "DVI" being
elements to the left, and these long verbose whines on the right. In
*every* instance, if the length of an item on the right side of the
simple list exceeds one line, it just runs off the end of the page
instead of, oh, I dunno, *wrapping* to the next line.

This is frustrating. I'm writing the protocol up in SGML/DocBook.
O'Reilly claims to use DocBook for all their books. O'Reilly's books are
*beautiful* pieces of typesetting. My stuff, on the other hand, looks
like steaming shit.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help, gang.

--
William W. Ferrell, System Administrator, Global Crossing Ltd.
950 17th St Ste 2200, Denver, CO 80202 1.303.223.0564

Public key available:
gpg --keyserver certserver.pgp.com --recv-key 7478FC7A

I think my career is ruined!