[lcdproc] Newbie questions

  • From: wwf AT frontierdev.com (William W. Ferrell)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Newbie questions
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 07:42:09 -0600

* Jaepke Lesselich
(jless AT mailexpress.de)'s
mailer blew these chunks:
> em...
> The messages on this list don't seem to be the right place for my
> questions, but I don't know another place to ask..
> I'm Sorry if I'm off-topic here!

Nope, you're not off-topic, we're just in the midst of designing a new
version :)

> My questions:
> 1: Where to ask theese kin of questions ?

Right here.

> 2:
> I just installed lcdproc 0.4 pre 9 on my system, running SuSE 6.4
> on a Pentium 120 with 64meg RAM with an HD44780 (20x4)
>
> It runs, but a have a few probs.
> the client (lcdproc) terminates after showing the screens (exept the
> System Load screen - I think because it runs in a loop ?) and the
> server shows only the 0 Clients and 0 Screens Message.
> Is this the normal way ? how to fix?

What does the client terminate with? I.e. do the following:

1) Start LCDd like you normally do (maybe send us the command line
you're using)

2) Run the client (lcdproc) *without* forking it to the background. Just
run it and let it crash; you should see an error, let us know what that
is.

Incidentally, *no*, the lcdproc client isn't meant to terminate after
one round of screens. I'm betting one of the screens does something
funky and makes the client barf.

> The heartbeat, scrolling and screenchanges and -refreshs are
> _very_ slow (refresh about every 4 seconds, time between client
> connecting and showing the first screen about 30seconds,
> heartbeat changes every 3 seconds) is my mashine sooooo slow ?
> can I fix it ? (how?)

This thing runs fine on a P120 with 32MB of RAM. Speed isn't an issue;
something else is wrong here. I'll let the HD44780 experts have a stab
at this one.

> I want to run lcdproc on system start:
> I'm not so experienced with linux, but I think I have to put a script in
> /sbin/init.d which can handle the options start and stop, and put
> links on this script in the directories for the runlevels....
>
> my script calls for starting the client
> /lcdproc-0.4-pre9/clients/lcdproc/lcdproc & || return=$rc_failed
>
> just like the other scripts in init.d, but bash don't like the &-
> character!
> it return: "syntax error near unexpected token '|'" if I remove the &
> lcdproc get started, but the client stays in foreground and bash
> timeouts the call. Quoting the call does not help - just an other
> error.....

What's the "|| return=$rc_failed" thing for at the end? I assume you're
checking to see if it exits gracefully or not and you're looping so you
can start it up again if it dies?

--
William W. Ferrell, System Administrator, Global Crossing Ltd.
950 17th St Ste 2200, Denver, CO 80202 1.303.223.0564

Public key available:
gpg --keyserver certserver.pgp.com --recv-key 7478FC7A

Idleness is the holiday of fools.