[lcdproc] Question: How to connect an LED to GPO of Matrix Orbital.

  • From: dglaude AT netbrain.be (David Glaude)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Question: How to connect an LED to GPO of Matrix Orbital.
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:52:43 +0200

Anybody can help use on connecting an LED to a GPO (basicaly 5V output).

>| Don't forget those GPO(?) General Purpose Output that you have on the
Matrix
>| Orbital.
>| If you find a place to graphicaly show virtual LED,
>| then we could test GPO without having to actualy distroy LED
>| (I am very good at doing this and very bad at soldering job).
>
>Are those pins just for LEDs? I saw them mentioned in the manual, but I
>wasn't sure what you can and can't solder onto them. If they're just for
>LEDs, then sure, how hard can it be? :)

Well, If I remember well, you have a 5V(?) output on those 6(?) GPO.
Now if you connect directly your LED to those pin, you might distroy them.
You may need a resitance in between.

Basicaly GPO are General Purpose, so you can plug anything (cafe machine,
...).
But you need to know about electronics. (I DON'T).

>| Now why emulate a Matrix Orbital rather than a Cristal(?) LCD?
>Purely because I have the manual with all the commands in it for Matrix
Orbital :)
That was a stupid question...

But I want to make sure everybody on the list understand that
Matrix Orbital is NOT a defacto standard.
It just happend to be the first LCD ever supported by LCDproc,
the one I have, the one you have, ...

Cristal do as good (I think) and you need to compare the price/feature too.

David GLAUDE

PS: Rob Hansen once suggested on the list to use an LED rather than the
heartbeat.