[lcdproc] Statistics gathering

  • From: wwf AT frontierdev.com (William W. Ferrell)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Statistics gathering
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 07:30:54 -0600

* Matthew J Dainty
(madmatt AT bits.bris.ac.uk)'s
mailer blew these chunks:
> Just browsing, (and bagging some of), the sourceforge tasks, and the
> "Statistics Gathering - *nix" sprung up. I'm not sure if it ever got
> mentioned, I think it might've, but did anyone ever look at libgtop?
> AFAIK, it was used by GNOME as a "standard" way of getting /proc-like
> information on many Unices, and I wondered if this would solve the
> problem?
>
> I think the only ones that wouldn't be supported outright are Windows, and
> possibly, BeOS...but I could be wrong here.

Right, libgtop is on my list of "potential ways to do this stuff." I
like how it works -- on systems that provide that information without
needing root, it's just a library. For systems (like Solaris) where you
have to be root to glean most system stats, it runs a tiny little daemon
as root that the library then connects to. Snifty.

You're right about the no-support-in-'doze-and-BeOS thing, but Todd
Porter's done lots of work to get NT/98/95 working, and I believe Colin
Munro is messing around with BeOS (not volunteering you, Colin, I
promise :).

There may not be an incredibly clean way to do this, so the LCDproc
standard client might get a little, er, "bulky." Autoconf is our friend,
right? :) I *would* like to avoid forking LCDproc for different
platforms; we should get everything to compile out-of-the-box on every
supported platform. Lofty goal, yeah, but that's what makes it fun,
right? ;)

--
William W. Ferrell, System Administrator, Global Crossing Ltd.
950 17th St Ste 2200, Denver, CO 80202 1.303.223.0564

Public key available:
gpg --keyserver certserver.pgp.com --recv-key 7478FC7A

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759