[lcdproc] Remote (network) displpays

  • From: natey AT hcis.net (Nathan Yawn)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Remote (network) displpays
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:08:39 -0500

William W. Ferrell wrote:

> I'm a bit curious about some of the discussions lately about the remote
> LCD stuff. I kinda thought we'd sorted some of this out. Remember the
> Java "LCD emulator"? I remember arguing some of these ideas around when
> that developer announced it, and the idea of a generic network driver
> came about.
>
> So here's a refresher and a suggestion how to resolve some of this:

[snippage]

> Comments welcome :)

I'm a bit lost...can you list an example of where this
functionality is
necessary? Doesn't functionality already exist for remote display? It
was my understanding that the clients already connected with the server
via TCP sockets. (If they're actually UNIX sockets, it would be trivial
to make them TCP sockets). As such, can't we simply run the server on
the "remote" machine with the display, and run the client on the "local"
machine whose data we wish to monitor? I'm not sure I see why there
needs to be a second "mini-server"...?

Nathan Yawn
natey AT hcis.net