[lcdproc] Remote (network) displays

  • From: wwf AT frontierdev.com (William W. Ferrell)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Remote (network) displays
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 13:10:24 -0600

I'm a bit curious about some of the discussions lately about the remote
LCD stuff. I kinda thought we'd sorted some of this out. Remember the
Java "LCD emulator"? I remember arguing some of these ideas around when
that developer announced it, and the idea of a generic network driver
came about.

So here's a refresher and a suggestion how to resolve some of this:

1) In LCDd, we write a single "network" driver that speaks assorted
languages (TCP, UDP, etc.) or maybe just TCP/IP, whatever. In the LCDd
configuration file we can pass the driver itself options to control
who/what can access the thing:

[driver]
driver = network
order = deny,allow
deny = ALL
allow = 192.168.1.10
emulate display type = alphanumeric
display size = 20 4
cell size = 8 5

2) While running, LCDproc just treats this device as another screen. It
calls all the same functions to generate widgets on the screen and
finally draw the framebuffer. Except on the network driver, nothing
really happens when the framebuffer is refreshed *except* for when the
network driver's got an attached "client".

3) On the remote box, where the real display is set up, you could just
run the "microLCDd" server and tell it where to get its display info
from. It *should* work with all the drivers LCDd can use. It grabs the
framebuffer from the server, then passes it to the drivers to draw.

Remember that the framebuffer will end up containing custom character
assignments and such, so everything necessary to draw a framebuffer,
using accelerated features when possible, is included with it.

Also remember that a driver doesn't care where its framebuffer comes
from; it won't know if microLCDd is using it or if LCDd is using it,
it'll just draw what gets thrown at it.

Comments welcome :)

--
William W. Ferrell, System Administrator, Global Crossing Ltd.
950 17th St Ste 2200, Denver, CO 80202 1.303.223.0564

Public key available:
gpg --keyserver certserver.pgp.com --recv-key 7478FC7A

Be different: conform.