[lcdproc] Current developpement question...

  • From: madmatt AT bits.bris.ac.uk (Matt)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Current developpement question...
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 01:58:02 +0100 (BST)

David Glaude wrote:

| Now, someone need to check for Parallel and timing issue... as this need to
| be transmit somehow inside the TCP connection. We might need an escape
| caracter to send timing information before a caracter we transmit. And if
| there is no timing issue at all with the device, then we could 'negotiate' a
| clear channel.

That would be a complete an utter fudge! I can see all the hd447870 people
queuing up to complain that their hardware is foobar'd now... Transmitting
parallel port timings over a network connection, eurgh!

| IS IT CREAZY or just a big good idea on the way to do things.

Crazy.

A much better idea is too keep the transmissions in a higher language, and
let the TCP code talk via a driver to the hardware. That way, we don't
have to write different protocols.

In the case of the Cisco hardware, that would be taken care of a cisco
driver, supplied with the address of the cisco box as an argument. Ditto
for HP LaserJets...

Perhaps an idea would be to have master and slave LCDd's? One master LCDd
that doesn't have any displays transmits to some slave LCDd's that all
have various bits of hardware connected. But until we get this challenge
authentication in place for network connections, we're opening up more and
more potential security holes every time we suggest sticking something
over a network connection. No offense, but the 0.4 series has some fairly
exploitable holes, and I'm fairly sure we'll become the bane of Cisco
admins the world over if we start writing serial data left, right, and
centre over the network directly to their hardware.

Matt