[lcdproc] Current developpement question...

  • From: dglaude AT netbrain.be (David Glaude)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Current developpement question...
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:03:02 +0200

Hello,
I am following from far away the mailing list.
But I have a few questions:

* There are talks about library usage. It sound good for the simplification
of writing a client and reusing the same socket code all over the place, ...
However, you are also talking about Dynamicaly loading drivers and there I
am affraid that I don't understand much anymore.
Are you talking about creating a loadable library for each driver and to
load the library that are needed only when they are needed? It sound's good
but might turn into a nightmare.
Well there is the issue of what kind of error message will popup if the
library is not where it is suppose to be...
But there is also the issue of portability of the code.
Of course Windows is having DLL that would do the trick.
And more likely other *nix have their own stuff, but how to keep it
portable.

If I still have a vote on this matter, don't make the driver dynamicaly
loadable.

If someone attach a new LCD of a new kind (not compiled in yet) and want to
use it he will have 2 options:
- Start another copy of LCDd.
- Stop, reconfigure, restart LCDd.

Maybe we could support dynamic reconfiguration of LCDd (if the new screen is
already compiled in).
Just modify the configuration file and send a KILL xxx to the tell LCDd to
parse again.
Of course in that case we should try to keep the client connected and
continue to serve them.

* About yacc/bison & lex/flex I also believe that for simple task, making
your own parser is a lot better. I have been using yacc and lex both
recently and long ago. They provide a good job but you also take with you a
(two) full state machine with a lot of various feature that we absolutely
don't need where a few lines of code could do the trick.
I don't know wich way you wanna go, but except if you want to take that
opportunity to learn those tools (always a bit risky) I see no point in
using them.

* Could you repeat where all those new developpent take place... Where is
the CVS... a few pointer maybe.

David GLAUDE