[LCDproc] Intro and current status Q?

  • From: madmatt AT bits.bris.ac.uk (Matt)
  • Subject: [LCDproc] Intro and current status Q?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 22:41:39 +0100 (BST)

William W. Ferrell wrote:

| * Matt
(madmatt AT bits.bris.ac.uk)'s
mailer blew these chunks:

| > Hmm, I've been trying to figure out what uses the libraries where and I've
| > come up with the following diagram which hopefully explains how I envisage
| > it:
| >
| > LCDproc
| > / \
| > Server Client
| > / \ / / | \ \
| > Output Input C #1 C #2 C #X Perl #1 Perl
#X
| > / | \ / \ \ | / \ /
| > MtxOrb CFontz hd44780 Joystick IrMan libLCDclient.so LCDclient.pm
| > \ \ | / /
| > libLCDdrivers.so
| >
| > Does this seem reasonable?
|
| Very. I *do* want to keep the sockets and lists in a library though.
| Probaly separate libraries :)

Oh that's all right then :)

| The linked list stuff is a freebie -- the server uses it and the stock
| LCDproc client will use it too, so why not make it a library to get
| some of that mythical "reusable code" stuff going? :) Same goes for
| socket code.

Oh, if the client will be using it, then fair enough. I was just woried
if the clients weren't going to use it, it'd make the library bigger than
necessary.

| So would each driver be its own library, or would all drivers get
| stuffed into a single library (your diagram isn't perfectly clear on
| that point, unless I'm missing something ;)

Um, I was a bit limited by the realms of ASCII art. Each driver is a lib,
which links in the common functions from another lib, (which incidentally
would be installed somewhere in /usr/local/... for driver development).
And make the client lib contain all the socket stuff for the C people, and
make a suitable Perl module as well, and the equivalent for any other
languages, python, etc.

Matt