[lcdproc] Config parser

  • From: madmatt AT bits.bris.ac.uk (Matt)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Config parser
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 22:31:41 +0100 (BST)

William W. Ferrell wrote:

| * Matthew J Dainty
(madmatt AT bits.bris.ac.uk)'s
mailer blew these chunks:
| > I'm not sure if we've already brough this up at all, but we could perhaps
| > use the trusty lex (& yacc?), do handle the config file.
| >
| > I've got access to the O'Reilly book on the subject so it might be a
| > possibility?
|
| Lex & yacc do this? Neat! Elaborate a little?

Um, (and I think I've got this right), we create a lex tokenizer that can
split the config file up into tokens, then we define a grammar with yacc
that understands it and performs actions on groups of tokens. I'm reliably
informed it can also recover if there is an error in the config file, (as
long as we write it correctly :)

It all gets created into C so that's nice :) and it's small enough to keep
all you pro-embedded chaps happy.

| BTW your e-mail address at sourceforge doesn't work, or something's
| otherwise broken. I got you added to lcdproc's project though (was just
| e-mailing you to tell you ;)

Oh pants, I'll check that in a minute...

Matt