[lcdproc] LCDProc on PS2 / USB ?

  • From: wwf AT frontierdev.com (William W. Ferrell)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] LCDProc on PS2 / USB ?
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 07:03:08 -0600

* Chris R.
(chris AT cian.net)'s
mailer blew these chunks:
> As there are so many 'adaptors' for PS2 to serial ports (for mice) I
> figured that
> the wiring is pretty similar, its just the arrangement that is different.
> So, if
> you take a bare-bones LCD and make a direct connection from it to the PS2
> port
> pins on the motherboard, then it should work just as though it were a
> serial port
> (?)

Sounds reasonable to me :)

I have *no* idea how the PS/2 stuff works. Although I must admit those
adapters always made me suspect PS/2 was just a hacked-off serial port
(only smaller) ;)

I doubt it matters much. If nothing else, we'd just have to make sure
gpm (or something similar) wasn't hogging /dev/psaux and that we could
write to it. You're probably right, though, in that it'd act precisely
like a serial device if you got the pins right.

--
William W. Ferrell, System Administrator, Global Crossing Ltd.
950 17th St Ste 2200, Denver, CO 80202 1.303.223.0564

Public key available:
gpg --keyserver certserver.pgp.com --recv-key 7478FC7A

In order to discover who you are, first learn who everybody else is;
you're what's left.