[lcdproc] Re: Wiring (was: LCDProc on PS2 / USB ?)

  • From: wwf AT frontierdev.com (William W. Ferrell)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Re: Wiring (was: LCDProc on PS2 / USB ?)
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 07:41:15 -0600

* Patrick C. F. Ernzer
(pcfe AT pcfe.de)'s
mailer blew these chunks:
> Hello,
>
> --On Wednesday, 6 September 2000 4:19 +0800 "Chris R."
> <chris AT cian.net>
>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
> > The intended target platform is FreeBSD 3.xx / 4.xx and the purpose is to
> > keep the LCD wiring fully within an ATX case i.e., not having to go
> > outside to use the external com port connections.
>
> This can be easily accomplished by using a cable that connects the LCD
> directly to a serial connector on the motherboard. This can be done as well
> for a parallel connection of course.

Heh. Most ATX motherboards I've ever dealt with have those bloody serial
connectors *soldered* right onto the motherboard and sticking out the
back.

ATX really annoys me in that regard, actually. I like the "I can turn
myself off!" stuff but that's a reason to buy an AT motherboard with
ATX-compatible power connectors and an ATX-aware BIOS ;)

> Refer both to the manual of the LCD and the manual of your motherboard for
> the wiring (serial connectors on motherboards come in two flavours)

And murphy's law says you'll always have the wrong connector for the
flavor your motherboard has. >:)

--
William W. Ferrell, System Administrator, Global Crossing Ltd.
950 17th St Ste 2200, Denver, CO 80202 1.303.223.0564

Public key available:
gpg --keyserver certserver.pgp.com --recv-key 7478FC7A

Love isn't only blind, it's also deaf, dumb, and stupid.