[lcdproc] lcd drivers in kernel

  • From: madmatt AT bits.bris.ac.uk (Matt)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] lcd drivers in kernel
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:31:44 +0100 (BST)

Thomas Ko wrote:

| How about moving the lcd-drivers into the kernel?
|
| there we have a direct link to the serial drivers, to i2c-calls and the
| hardware drivers go where they should be - in the kernel!
| The graphics display could be interfaced through a kernel video
| framebuffer like the drivers for ati, permedia,....
| the text displays are standard pty-devices.

Initially I thought "maybe", but I think "no" now for these reasons:

o I don't think I'd class the display drivers as low-level drivers. They
are more devices that use the kernel services. It'd be hard to
piggy-back the display drivers onto the kernel devices...
o When coding device drivers, you are limited to a much smaller subset of
C functions. For example, no floating-point functions, no extra libs,
etc.
o All of the serial/i2c calls can be made in user-space just as easily as
from kernel-space.
o Apart from possibly the i2c MtxOrb driver, autodetect is practically
impossible to perform, which makes adding it into the kernel a bad
idea.
o Think of the serial MtxOrb as a modem, we don't have a modem driver in
the kernel, we just open the serial port and write commands to it. This
applies to most of the other displays.

Just my thoughts, but I think we should keep it in user-space.

Matt