[lcdproc] LCDd and FreeBSD

  • From: gimp AT retards.org (Nathan Hendler)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] LCDd and FreeBSD
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:30:51 -0700 (MST)

Thanks to everyone that has sent me email. From it I was able to get a
good idea of what I needed to do. I got my LCD hooked up to a parallel
cable and was ready to rock and roll, but...

It appears that the HD44780 driver won't work on FreeBSD. iopref is a
function unique to Linux, and it seems that the parallel stuff relies on
it. If anyone knows/thinks otherwise, please let me know. I tried
commenting out the tiny code-block that uses iopref, as it seemed like it
might not be too imortant (eh). LCDd compiled fine, but whenever I start
LCDd I get something like, "Driver not loaded properly. Continuing
anyway."

For now I guess I'm going to wait and see if I ever get my iopener from
Circuit City and install Linux on that and see how things go with the LCD.
I'm not even sure the LCD is hooked up correctly, or even works, so
there's all sorts of likely pitfalls ahead :)

Is there an easy way to test an LCD to see if it might still work?

Thanks,
Nathan Hendler