[lcdproc] Optrex DMC40457 4x40 LCD

  • From: willfe AT yahoo.com (William Ferrell)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] Optrex DMC40457 4x40 LCD
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:17:40 -0800 (PST)

--- Nathan Hendler
<gimp AT retards.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Scott Scriven wrote:
>
> > > Anyone gotten LCDproc running on FreeBSD?
> >
> > The server runs, but the main client doesn't do much. (it
> > depends on the linux /proc, which is much more extensive than
> > any other unix's /proc)
>
> Hmm... I wanted to hear that it runs without a hitch.
>
> If the server runs, would I be able to write my own clients using the
> perl client module? Or do *all* clients rely on linux's /proc? I have
> admit, I don't know what "linux's /proc" really means.

Oh sure you can write your own stuff. We're only using /proc in Linux to
grab stats out of the kernel. One of the side projects I'm working on is
talking LCDproc into using libgtop instead of just grabbing things on the
raw from /proc.

On non-Linux Unices, /proc just has a directory for each running process,
containing CPU utilization and memory use stats, among other things. Linux
adds a bunch of stuff that we found useful.

You can build a client in any OS you want so long as it speaks sockets.
Hell, even 'doze does sockets so you should be fine :) Any language will
do, same requirement. This means you could probably even write something in
e-macs (well it does everything else, right? :).

=====
Friends help you move, but real friends help you move bodies.