[lcdproc] LCDproc++

  • From: erd AT iname.com (Ethan Dicks)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] LCDproc++
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:42:39 -0800 (PST)

--- Mindaugas Idzelis
<mai3116 AT rit.edu>
wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> My name is Min Idzelis, and I'm designing LCDproc++, which could very
> well be the successor of LCDproc. It is going to be completely rewritten in
> C++ and feature flexibility and portability.

Being a C and assembler programmer, not a C++ programmer, I'm not in
favor of the shift, especially if I continue my embedded systems work -
how many C++ compilers are there for 8-bit micros? I can take what's
there in C and move it to *any* useful environment. C++ is less portable
if you include systems other than UNIX and Windows.

> Currently, I am debating using CORBA as the protocol middleware.

I'm thinking I want something lightweight. What's the minimum amount of
system to support CORBA? What I mean is I'm working on things like diskless
Linux Router boxes and embedded Linux appliances using 486-class CPUs and
16Mb of RAM or less and *no* hard disk. LCDproc is very suitable for my
needs. How will CORBA affect the size of the clients and servers (including
any ancillary libraries)? If the entire package of LCDproc++ AND ALL
LIBRARIES
will fit in a gzipped tar file of 100K, then I guess I don't care. If it's
a meg or two, I won't be able to use it. Not everybody has a PIII w/256Mb
of RAM and WinNT for all things.

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address:
erd AT iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.