[lcdproc] LCDproc++

  • From: willfe AT yahoo.com (William Ferrell)
  • Subject: [lcdproc] LCDproc++
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 15:42:48 -0800 (PST)

--- Harald Klein
<linux AT chello.at>
wrote:
> Mindaugas Idzelis wrote:
> >
> > Hypothetically, can't the "proc" part of LCDproc be written in java?
> That
> > way, it will be very cross-platform?
> >

> Hi
>
> I thought about that, also, but i think the proc gathering is very
> hardware dependent,
> and java is too abstracted to get the infos.
>
> but i only did 1 java class, dunno exactly :)

Actually, I've been tossing around the idea of making LCDproc use libgtop.
It seems to be available for *BSD, Linux, Digital Unix, and soon, Solaris
(I work in a mostly-Solaris shop now, so that's convenient :).

As soon as I get time (wish me luck :) I'll dig deeper into this idea. My
only concern is that we'd be making LCDproc dependent on other stuff ...
right now it only wants curses, and it can live without that.

Anybody have any experience with libgtop? How easily is it installed on a
system, and how easily can it be coded for?

=====
Friends help you move, but real friends help you move bodies.